Tuesday, December 26, 2006

Time as a Measurement Instrument

It's very interesting to estimate the possibility of getting admitted by time measurement. I used to estimate the possibility of a deal by measuring the time the customer spent with me, my service, or my product. If a customer spends significant time talking, meeting, or working with me, the chance that I get this deal/contract is high. Otherwise, the chance is low.

This time measurement strategy could, I believe, be applied to applications to schools. The trick is trying to get the faculty's interests and its willings to spend time with me. I have been trying to make contacts with the faculty and asking for a campus visit as possible as I can. Besides, I always left a room for further discussion in the future as communicating with the faculty. If a professor spends, in total, more than two hours exchanging tens of emails with me, the case is rare, I guess, and my chance of getting admitted is high. If a professor is willing to talk with me via phone for more than half an hour, the chance is higher. If a professor would like to spend half a day meeting with me on campus, the chance is sky-high.

The time measurement is a prevailing approach in the real business world. Since the professors I would like to work with are all with B-schools, they should know this approach. Thus, the feedbacks that I have from them at present should be a positive sign.

No comments: